This problem is typically caused by an issue with the home sensor for the carriage. To find the source of the problem and attempt to fix it, follow these steps.
- Remove both the left and right endcaps, to do this, remove the two screws that are attached to the inside wall on each side of the cutter. On each side, there is one screw on the front, and one on the back. (include pictures for back endcap screws.)
- Underneath the endcaps, you will find two screws on each side that hold the top rail in place. Remove the screw that is closest to the front of the cutter on each side, and leave the back screws in place. This will make it easy to open and close the top rail.
- After opening the top rail, you should see the carriage control board that is connected to the carriage. There is a limit sensor on the underside of the carriage control board that has a plastic U-shaped cover. It is this limit sensor that tells the carriage to stop moving. The U-shaped piece should be straddling the wall at the back, if it is out of place or missing, that is what would be causing this issue.
Carriage control board with limit sensor in placeThe underside of the carriage control board
- The limit sensor is covered by the plastic piece, and the plastic piece is required in order for it to work properly. You should be able to reattach the plastic piece if it has become disconnected, unless one or both of the sensors are disconnected from the board. If reattaching the plastic piece does not resolve the issue, the plastic piece is missing, or it is not possible to reattach it, you will need a replacement carriage to resolve the issue.
- If the limit sensor is intact, and you don't see any other damage or potential cause for this issue, the cause is most likely an unseen issue with the carriage, or in rare cases, the motherboard.
These parts are sold on USCutter.com, but are also covered under the warranty. If you are not sure if your cutter is still under warranty, please contact our tech support via our ticketing system or our phone line. When you do, please be sure to provide us with your order number from when you purchased the machine to expedite the process.